Monday officially started the 2011-2012 school year.
Last year I taught preschool and a few special ed. students. This year it is just preschool (which here in México includes 2 years of normal preschool and kindergarten as the last year). So my classroom got converted into what I call a "real" preschool room. I have to admit I had my expectations, how I wanted it to turn out in my mind, and granted it is not exactly as I had imagined it came pretty close. I am happy with it. There is still some re-organizing, maybe some rearranging to be done, but for now this is what I've got:
Block/science area to the left, reading area in the middle, group area to the right
Kids' table on the left, writing area, and teacher desk on the right
The kitchenette on the right is the newest addition. I need to find a good place to put it because my other dramatic play stuff is in another area, but I am kind of running out of room...
I really wanted a kid-size table and found this adjustable table at Kmart for $30. A good buy I think! Back behind the table is where we do our "circle time".
This year I am teaching three little kiddos: one who I taught last year, Candi (Joel and Steph's), Ángel (Zulema's oldest boy), and Julián (Eunice, one of our grade school teacher's youngest).

Candi, Ángel, Julián

So here's hoping that the rest of the school year goes a little better...!
But rather than leave you on such an unpleasant note... here are some pictures from class today. (It went much better, praise God!!)
Ángel playing with puzzles
I had to laugh to myself when I saw this... I had just tried to throw this out a few weeks earlier. Guess one person's junk is another person's (child's) treasure.

Ángel getting his turn. (Who needs a scooter when you have a broken desk chair?)
And just in case you are doubting how much fun a broken chair can be... :)

Julián feeding the baby doll (under Candi's watchful eye...I think she might have been the "mom" and he the "brother").

Ángel playing Caillou during his computer time.
Speaking of being sick, it seems to be making its way around CVE so we would appreciate your prayers for those who are sick, recuperating, or caring for sick kids. Please continue to pray for those who are struggling spiritually as well (you can find specific prayer requests here). I am thankful that while we get sick and weary in the battle, our great God does not (nor does our weakness escape His notice)! Please pray that we would rely on Him for our strength and guidance each day.
Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31
Block/science area to the left, reading area in the middle, group area to the right
Kids' table on the left, writing area, and teacher desk on the right
The kitchenette on the right is the newest addition. I need to find a good place to put it because my other dramatic play stuff is in another area, but I am kind of running out of room...
I really wanted a kid-size table and found this adjustable table at Kmart for $30. A good buy I think! Back behind the table is where we do our "circle time".
This year I am teaching three little kiddos: one who I taught last year, Candi (Joel and Steph's), Ángel (Zulema's oldest boy), and Julián (Eunice, one of our grade school teacher's youngest).
Candi, Ángel, Julián
So, why the title of the blog?? Well, Monday, the first day of school, the day you want to go well, to get off on the "right foot"... did not quite start off as planned....
I woke up with an unsettled stomach which concerned me a tad...
and by about 9:30 I was not feeling so great to say the least. The kids had recess at 10 so I thought maybe once I got them to the cancha (court, as in volleyball court/play area) I would go to the bathroom and try to throw up. I hate throwing up, but at this point I thought it would help, so...
Well, 9:50 a.m. getting the kids a ball they could take to recess and nope, throwing up was not going to wait. Let me tell you, me standing over the garbage can on the first day of school in front of my students was not in my lesson plans!! Thankfully, most of them were distracted by the ball and something else they noticed in the corner and only one of my students came over and asked, What's that?? Vomit.
Yes, ...not a proud teacher moment!
Yes, ...not a proud teacher moment!
And the funny thing is, I had just read them this book (which I highly recommend if you haven't read it!):
And talked about hand-washing (we even went to the bathroom to practice)... and "the worst germ of all that makes you... throw up"!
Guess that one got the best of me this time....
But rather than leave you on such an unpleasant note... here are some pictures from class today. (It went much better, praise God!!)
Ángel playing with puzzles
I had to laugh to myself when I saw this... I had just tried to throw this out a few weeks earlier. Guess one person's junk is another person's (child's) treasure.
Ángel getting his turn. (Who needs a scooter when you have a broken desk chair?)
And just in case you are doubting how much fun a broken chair can be... :)
Julián feeding the baby doll (under Candi's watchful eye...I think she might have been the "mom" and he the "brother").
Ángel playing Caillou during his computer time.
Speaking of being sick, it seems to be making its way around CVE so we would appreciate your prayers for those who are sick, recuperating, or caring for sick kids. Please continue to pray for those who are struggling spiritually as well (you can find specific prayer requests here). I am thankful that while we get sick and weary in the battle, our great God does not (nor does our weakness escape His notice)! Please pray that we would rely on Him for our strength and guidance each day.
Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31
1 comment:
Oh man!! Yuck! I always appreciated visual aids while learning...looks like you did just that! :) Hope you are feeling better.
The classroom looks ADORABLE!!!
Sarah
Post a Comment