Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Eph 3:20, 21

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Harry Potter unveiled...

I recently was listening to a talk on "To Harry or Not to Harry: Deciding about Harry Potter" by Bill Schnoebelen and Wendell Amstutz (found here). Although I had already made my decision about where I stood on Harry Potter, I was curious to hear what others were saying about it. One of the speakers (Bill Schnoebelen) was deeply involved in the occult before coming to Christ and speaks about the books using his personal experiences as a reference. The presenters encourage their listeners to make an informed decision about Harry Potter and facilitate that by presenting the facts on what the Bible says, what the books say/quotes, and whether or not there is truly a connection with witchcraft. They also discuss how the huge popularity of Harry Potter is effecting the current generation of children and what that means for all of us (whether we read the books and watch the movies or not). You might be surprised at the widespread effects Harry Potter is having on our world. (Also, for those of you who wonder about the Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings, they share a few comments on these books/movies as well.)

I know a lot of Christians who have the Harry Potter books, have watched the movies, and many who write it off as "just fantasy." But is it? All of us have to make our own decision on how we will respond to the Harry Potter craze, but I think it is wise to acknowledge the fact that we often make decisions without really knowing the facts and the true effects of what we are deciding, without really considering how our choices could be effecting us. And really not just with Harry Potter, but even with entertainment in general.

So, I encourage you to take the time. Inform yourself on an issue that really will likely effect us all, directly or indirectly, because of its widespread popularity in our world. You can find this talk (on cd) here on the Deeper Walk website for only $8. It is an eye-opener and well worth your time and money!

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. Galatians 6:7,8

1 comment:

Schlipf family said...

You have written this as a watchman on the wall. I know you could have written much more, but it IS our responsibility to discern what is of God and what is of satan. I appreciate your passion to cut off satan's power. Our prayers are with all of you at CVE as you seek to know and serve God and God alone. We love you so much. mom/dad